10 Ways To Recognize Employees
10 Ways To Recognize Employees
If you’ve ever felt under appreciated at work, you know exactly how important it is to recognize employees. In many cases, turnover rates can be directly correlated to employee recognition. Many business or bosses may feel like they can’t afford to recognize or reward their employees, but this can be very inexpensive. People aren’t solely motivated by money, and smaller, sincere gestures of gratitude can be even more powerful than a bonus.The golden rule here is to recognize in public, and “criticize” in private. Employees are not only looking for rewards for their great work, but most like to be recognized for their work.
Recognize them for their efforts. Anytime they do well, recognize them in front of their peers, your boss, and any other leadership team. Recognize them any chance you get. The earlier you recognize one’s accomplishment, the more inspirational it is for that person.
Here are a few ways of recognizing your employees:
- Say “thank you” – simple right? Many bosses forget to do this, and take it for granted. Whether this is through an e-mail, or verbal, or even a handwritten card, a sincere thank you goes a long way.
- Give public shout outs – Not just a good job, or a pat on the back, but a public acknowledgement. This can be done through an email blast to the whole company, or the team, depending on the accomplishment. You can create a Slack channel for recognition that all employees can view and comment on. Additionally, an announcement can be made at a company meeting, on the intranet site, or in the break room. Handing out a plaque with their name on it, with an “Employee of the quarter” is a great idea. There is nothing more fulfilling and motivating than seeing your name plastered in the company break room.
- Acknowledgement from the CEO – One thing I like to do is send the praise directly to the CEO, and let him or her take it from there. Usually the CEO will blast this out to the whole company. This is a great way to inspire and motivate people as well.
- Forward praise from customer to the company – Many times employees will receive praise from customers, or internally – blast this out to the company.
- Give company apparel – Some of the best ways to increase your marketing and provide recognition is by giving away company apparel.
- Express gratitude on social media – Post a picture of your employee with their achievement. Tag them.
- Implement their suggestion – If you as a business have a suggestion box where employees can suggest changes, make sure if the suggestion has been taken, and implemented, you give credit to the employee. This will inspire others to make suggestions, and constantly improve your work culture.
- Take them to lunch, or bring in lunch – There have been many occasions where my team has worked so hard, that I’ve decided either to take them all to lunch, which has nearly been impossible when you work in customer support, or I’ve brought in lunch for my team as a thank you. Make sure to give them a couple options of restaurants, and then allow them to choose the items they’d like to order, with absolutely no restrictions.
- Cash spot awards – Give away cash or a gift card that they’d really enjoy.
- Encourage peer to peer recognition – monthly or quarterly peer nominated recognitions can go a long way. This can ultimately lead to rewards such as a VIP parking spot.
What are your thoughts? What are ways you recognize your employees? How would you like to be recognized at your workplace?