We’ve all experienced loss, pain, uncertainty, and fear in our lives. These fears begin to creep up and take over our own sense of sanity.
You know what I’m talking about.
When that small voice in the back of your head tells you that you aren’t good enough.
We’ve all been there, and sometimes that voice is louder than other times in our life. So how do we make it stop? How do we calm our minds, ease our fears, and relax our hearts?
The biggest impediment to being the men and women who we want to be is the fact that we let things hold us down.
How do we do this?
I mean these things don’t actually have any power over us. In fact, it’s the opposite.
A lot of us hold onto certain things. We wrongly believe that these are the things holding us down, but in actuality–we are holding onto them.
We decide, for some reason that we can’t go forward, that the stress, the fear, the pressure, the shame, the indecision is too great. So we stop, and we sit with these things in our hands.
And it sucks.
Because we believe that we are powerless over these life events, when in reality we are the ones who give them power.
I’ll say that again in a different way. When something bad happens or doesn’t go our way and we give up, we give power to the very thing we were fighting.
The question is how do you keep moving forward?
The next ten suggestions are simple truths to remind you what’s truly important when you are facing a difficulty in your life.
- Not Every Opportunity is for Me: This is a tough one because Every time that we want something, we believe that it is the right thing for us. And many times, we are correct. However, it’s important to be realistic. Now, I don’t mean that we shouldn’t have big goals and dreams. Actually, I’m an advocate for dreaming very large. However, on your journey to achieve these dreams you really don’t need to take advantage of every opportunity that is presented your way. In fact, the greatest people in the world will tell you that it is actually the opposite. Many opportunities require you to say no. Recognizing this, can help you to realize that life isn’t over if the opportunity you are seeking doesn’t work out. Life will still go on. You must let go.
- Life is Unpredictable: One of the biggest things to remember in life, is that life is unpredictable. No matter how much you think you know about what is going to happen, there are always factors outside of your consideration. We must play the hand that we’re dealt in the moment that we are playing the game. In other words, you can’t plan for everything. Sometimes, you must expect some variance.
- You Are in Charge of your Emotions: This next point is something that many people are unaware of. You are in charge of your emotional state. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t experience all of your emotions. Because I believe that you should experience all emotions on the spectrum. That’s what being human means. However if someone is mean to you or short with you will you let it ruin your day? Or, will you forget about it and move on? This is the difference between someone who is in control of his or her emotions, and someone who lets other people take away their power.
- Taking Action Will Make You Feel Better: If you’re feeling stuck, afraid, or upset taking action will make you feel better. Even if it’s just a few small minor details such as cleaning your living space, you’ll begin to feel a slight uptick in your mood. This is why many of the greatest entrepreneurs recommend that you start off your day with a morning routine. Something as small as making your bed in the morning can make you feel ready to conquer and take on the day.
- Start Believing in Yourself, More than External Forces: Many people don’t believe in themselves. They feel like the world is out to get them, and they believe that that is the only reality. When actuality, people who believe in themselves are able to overcome the obstacles the world throws at them.
- Love Where You Are at in Life: This next point is one of those that we all resist, but it’s so true. We need to love where we are at in our life. Not every season of your life can be the most productive, the most exciting, and most fun-filled. Instead, sometimes we need rest, self-care, and the ability to see the good in the situation at hand.
- Try Laughing at Yourself: Sometimes we let our fears get in the way of us truly living out our dreams. And sometimes it’s almost funny. A lot of stress and self-hatred could be released by being able to laugh at ourselves. Sometimes laughing it off really is the best medicine.
- Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway: This has become a cliché in our culture, but it is a great reminder. When you feel fear sometimes that’s because you know that is the right thing to do. None of us like to make mistakes, but it’s important that we keep going and we keep the right attitude.
- Let Go and Wait for the Next Opportunity: Sometimes opportunities aren’t the right ones. And you need to let them go. Recognize that you save yourself struggle, hassle, and a world of problems by letting some opportunities pass you by. Sometimes people, places, and things aren’t right for us. It’s a big, big world out there you’ll find what works for you.
- If You Don’t See an Opportunity, Make One: The best people in life don’t wait for opportunity. As George Bernard Shaw said they create opportunity. Being able to make your own opportunity is a secret weapon to having a wonderful 2018.
let me know your thoughts in the comments below.